By: Katie Lemon
In search of sustainable mens clothing that’s made with style but won’t break the bank? From vegan clothing brands to hemp fashion companies, you need to check out the following 13 sustainable mens clothing brands. I’ve rounded up the very best eco-friendly clothing companies on the market today, and included a comprehensive rundown of their sustainability efforts so you can feel good about your environmental impact (while looking good at the same time).
Keep reading for the lowdown on where to find everything from sustainable mens boxer briefs to your new favorite pair of ethical denim jeans. Here are all the ethical mens clothing brands we’ll cover today:
13 Sustainable Mens Clothing Brands
(table of contents)
1. WAMA UNDERWEAR
You know I had to start with my favorite brand for sustainable mens clothing! Here at WAMA, our mission is to pioneer the hemp underwear industry by making the best hemp undies in the world and constantly improving the fit, function and design. Hemp fabric has many benefits like being naturally antibacterial, super soft and breathable, making it ideal for your everyday underwear. So start your sustainable outfit from the ground up with one of the most important ingredients: organic underwear like mens briefs and trunks underwear.
- We use hemp because it’s one of the most sustainable fiber sources on the planet. When harvesting hemp, it prevents erosion, improves soil health, decreases CO2 emissions, and so much more. Even when compared against other natural fibers—like hemp vs bamboo and hemp vs linen—hemp comes out on top.
- We manufacture all of our hemp in China, which reduces carbon emissions in our supply chain, and keeps final products accessibly priced. We exclusively partner with factories that improve their employees' lives with fair wages and quality working environments.
- We take pride in partnering with eco-friendly organizations: WAMA is a PETA approved vegan brand, a Green America certified business, and a business member of the National Hemp Association.
As the name may hint, Kotn produces high-quality men’s clothing using all sustainable cotton sourced from the Nile Delta in Egypt. Founded in Canada in 2015, Kotn is a great ethical mens clothing brand for all sorts of basics, from knitwear and jackets to loungewear and t-shirts.
- As a certified B-corporation, a portion of every sale goes to social impact projects founded by Kotn, like operating schools in impoverished areas and providing resources to smallholder farms.
- Kotn works directly with the entire cotton supply chain to ensure high quality fabric and safe labor practices.
- Kotn has made a commitment to use 100% organic Egyptian cotton in the next five years to become even more eco-friendly, even helping the farms they work with to set up the right systems to do so.
3. THOUGHT CLOTHING
Thought Clothing makes gorgeous contemporary clothing for both men and women. This brand had humble beginnings in 1995 Australia, when founder John and his friend David wanted to make breathable beachwear with natural fabrics. They made some t-shirts and tunics with clean, classic lines, and over time this contemporary style became the backbone for Thought’s aesthetic today.
- Thought Clothing offers a few unique categories including vegan clothing, fair trade clothing, and even some new products made with hemp (which you know I love to see!).
- To help reduce global waste, Thought Clothing makes sure to use zero plastic packaging in their shipping materials, so you can online shop guilt-free.
- Thought Clothing has worked with a variety of nonprofits to make the world a better place, including Trees for Cities and The Woodland Trust.
In search of sustainable mens clothing with a touch of added luxury? Look no further than Faherty, a family-run fashion brand committed to positive change through joy and conscious design. Check out Faherty for unbelievably soft mens workwear and outerwear especially.
- Faherty prioritizes sustainable fabrics like organic cotton, recycled polyester, and hemp, and their goal is to use 85% sustainable fabrics by 2021.
- This brand makes sure to reduce waste by composting, recycling, and donating their fabric scraps to the organization Fabscrap.
- Faherty donates 10% of sales from their Indigenous-inspired prints to organizations that support Native Americans, and they’re making moves to partner with Indigenous creatives in 2021.
5. ALTERNATIVE APPAREL
Not looking for luxury so much as supreme comfort and coziness? Then you’ll want to go with Alternative Apparel, the perfect mens ethical clothing for those with a more relaxed sense of style. Choose from the likes of ultra-soft hoodies, distressed tie dye tees, and casual cotton lounge shorts—you can’t go wrong with Alternative Apparel.
- This brand makes sure to use low impact dyes for colors that look great but don’t harm your skin or the environment.
- Alternative Apparel has pledged to replace 100% of the virgin polyester in their fabric blends with recycled polyester.
- Most of the factories that Alternative Apparel works with are WRAP-certified, and all of them follow strict Fair Labor Association guidelines to ensure a healthy, safe work environment.
6. THE CLASSIC T-SHIRT COMPANY
The Classic T-Shirt Company is a fairly self-explanatory brand: your new one-stop shop for the most sustainable cotton t-shirts, made with a sense of quality and luxury. The Classic T-Shirt Company was founded by Paul and Olga Garibian before the birth of their daughter Gabriella. They wanted to model eco-friendly living for their growing family, and thus The Classic T-Shirt Company was born.
- All t-shirts by this brand are made right here in the US, with premium, GOTS-certified organic cotton sourced from small Indian farms.
- These t-shirts are really built to last: each one is expertly garment washed for the perfect fit that will carry through, wash after wash.
- 1% of all sales at The Classic T-Shirt Company goes to a variety of eco-friendly causes, like tree planting and ocean cleanup charities.
7. TAYLOR STITCH
The ethical mens clothing brand Taylor Stitch was founded in 2007 by three friends with a humble mission: to make a more sustainable and better tailored mens work shirt. Fast forward to today, and this California-based brand has expanded into all sorts of basics, expertly made to fit you just right: from outerwear and denim to shoes and other accessories.
- Embrace minimalist clothing and live more eco-friendly by shopping Taylor Stitch’s unique “essentials” collection. It’s basically a capsule wardrobe already put together for you!
- Committed to keeping the earth “wild forever,” Taylor Stitch hosts “Wild Forever Days,” day-long events committed to community education and volunteering to better take care of mother earth.
- Taylor Stitch embraces transparency, providing minute details on their site of all their factory partners and their growing commitment to using sustainable fabrics.
Founded in 2015 by brothers Raj and Akhil, Ably’s mission is to “make everyday extraordinary” with apparel made with only the most eco-friendly materials and the highest production standards. The coolest part about Ably clothing? It’s water-resistant, stain-resistant, and odor-resistant—making this mens ethical clothing brand ideal for travelers, minimalists, and adventurous types alike.
- Not only is their “whatever-proof” fabric super versatile, it’s also very eco-friendly. You can wash your Ably clothing less and wear them much longer, which reduces your carbon footprint and waste output.
- Ably is always looking to give back, with a dedicated page on their site to varying missions they’re looking to support. Right now, for every purchase made they’re donating one face mask to first responders and vulnerable communities in Washington state.
- While Ably clothing is treated with their trademarked Filium technology, they still use natural fabrics in all their clothes for ultimate softness, breathability, and eco-friendliness.
Founded in 2006, ONNO is dedicated to making your new favorite tee, no matter what natural fabric you prefer. ONNO is one of the best spots for sustainable mens clothing for men who love clean, classic basics that are built to last. All of their shirts come in a wide range of colors, and with 23 primary measurements, you can be sure the fit will be nothing less than perfect.
- ONNO uses organic cotton in some of their shirts, just as The Classic T-Shirt Company does, but they also sell bamboo, pima cotton, and even hemp t-shirts! When comparing hemp vs cotton, hemp is far more sustainable, so my vote is to choose hemp when possible.
- ONNO is committed to safe work practices: they work with two small, family-run factories to ensure fair wages and a healthy work-life balance for employees.
10. GROCERIES APPAREL
California-based Groceries Apparel makes unisex basics you won’t want to take off, like their hemp crew shirt and their raglan pullover sweatshirt. Groceries Apparel makes perfect sustainable mens clothing for those with a simple, laidback aesthetic. A fan favorite? Their indigo tie dye sweatshirt, made with eco-friendly vegetable dyes.
- Get this: all of Groceries Apparel ethical mens clothing is made with 100% organic and/or recycled fabrics for the utmost in sustainable sourcing.
- To reduce waste, lower their carbon footprint, and ensure the highest quality goods, Groceries Apparel is fully vertically-integrated. That means they manufacture and dye everything right in their LA-based factory.
- Groceries Apparel is a “seed to skin” company, so they can trace all of their garment elements back from the farm all the way to the factory.
11. UNITED BY BLUE
United By Blue was founded in 2010 with the mission to really commit to concrete environmental action for each and every purchase made. They call their men’s clothing “durable, dependable, and down to earth,” and that description couldn’t be more accurate: just check out their classic flannel shirts, work pants, and henleys to see what I mean.
- For every product purchased, United By Blue is committed to removing one pound of garbage from polluted waterways.To date, they’ve removed over 3.4 million pounds of trash!
- United By Blue wants you to be able to consume less and save more, which is why they only partner with GOTS-certified factories and use exclusively sustainable fabrics.
- United By Blue is so committed to making the world a better place that in 2011, they became a certified B-corporation.
12. BROTHERS WE STAND
Brothers We Stand will be your top choice if you’re in search of sustainable mens clothing in the UK. First created in 2013, Brothers We Stand now makes all sorts of mens ethical clothing. Seriously: with everything from t shirts and knitwear to swimwear and scarves, you could source your entire sustainable wardrobe from this one brand!
- Brothers We Stand has six standards they maintain for sustainability, including a transparent supply chain. For every product, you can look into its unique product “footprint” to know exactly the process.
- Another one of their six ethical standards: only working with factories and suppliers that can prove quality working standards, including no child labor and fair wages.
- Not only does Brothers We Stand create their own eco-friendly clothing, but they also partner with smaller sustainable menswear brands to make sustainable fashion more accessible to all.
13. WARP + WEFT
Warp + Weft is committed to making the world’s most ethical denim for sustainably-minded men. Founded by Sarah Ahmed, the daughter of the owners of luxury denim brand DL1961, Warp + Weft’s mission is to make high quality sustainable denim accessible to everyone. Priced at under $100 a pop and far kinder to the earth than traditional denim, I’d say they’ve achieved that mission!
- Making a pair of Warp + Weft jeans takes only 10 gallons of water… traditional denim requires a whopping 1,500 gallons for just one pair!
- As a vertically-aligned company, Warp + Weft ensures the highest quality denim every time while also drastically reducing carbon emissions and waste.
- On top of all that, Warp + Weft even makes sure to treat and recycle over 98% of the water they do use, and they generate all the energy for their factory through an in-house power plant that greatly increases efficiency.
CONCLUSION: 13 SUSTAINABLE MENS CLOTHING BRANDS
It’s so exciting that more mens clothing brands are embracing sustainability and doing their part to protect the earth. So whether you’re in search of daily basics, luxury workwear, or just a killer pair of jeans, these 13 brands with sustainable mens clothing have you covered!
Have you shopped any of these brands before? Which one is your favorite? Be sure to let me know in the comments below.