I live in Fiji, which means I’m always dealing with high heat and humidity. And while I’d love to be able to turn on the AC and binge-watch Love Island to cool down, my solar power system doesn’t exactly allow that to happen.
Instead, I’ve created a wardrobe of cool and dry clothing to keep me…cool and dry! The most important piece of that wardrobe? The best underwear for hot humid weather! No more sweaty vagina for me!
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO WEAR THE BEST UNDERWEAR FOR HOT HUMID WEATHER?
Everyone who’s ever experienced butt sweat knows how uncomfortable it is. And while heat and humidity can be nearly impossible to avoid depending on the season and location, you can avoid a sweaty crotch by wearing the right underwear. But, beyond discomfort, why should you even worry about it?
Wearing the wrong underwear during hot, humid weather can cause:
- Butt acne: wearing tight underwear that isn’t moisture-wicking or breathable is a pretty surefire way to get pesky little butt pimples to pop up! Getting rid of them is a literal pain in the butt, so just prevent it entirely by wearing the best hot weather underwear you can.
- Chub rub: do you have painful, red chafing along your crotch and thighs? Blame your underwear! Wearing anti chafing underwear will help keep the pain to a minimum.
- Infections: sweating down there can cause a whole host of infections like bacterial vaginosis, ingrown hairs, or jock itch. Avoid a trip to the pharmacy with moisture wicking, breathable underwear on hot days! Iif you can find antibacterial underwear, that really makes the best women's underwear for hot humid weather, espeically.
- A stench: I’m not here to try to tell you that your genitals shouldn’t have any smell at all. Or that you should be ashamed of any smells naturally coming from your downstairs. But I probably shouldn’t be able to smell it if I’m sitting across the room from you, right? Don’t be the ‘guy who smells like sweaty balls’, just wear the right undies!
I think I can speak for everyone when I say we all are trying to avoid butt acne, chub rub, groin infections, and a far-reaching stench. And with the world going like it is, all of us are going to be experiencing warmer, more extreme weather. We’re going to have to find ways to mitigate how climate change affects us. Why not start with your underwear?
Plus, the good news is that the best underwear for hot humid weather is made with natural, sustainably sourced materials like organic cotton and hemp fabric. That means underwear that keeps you cool also won’t add to the climate crisis as much as your average pair of cotton tighty whities or no-seam Lycra undies do.
Now that we know why you should wear underwear that’s good for hot and humid weather, let’s talk about what that underwear is!
FIND THE BEST HOT WEATHER UNDERWEAR
You’re on board to avoid painful butt acne, chub rub, and infections, plus smelly netherregions. Now you just need to know what exactly you should be looking for to find the best underwear for hot humid weather. Here are some things to keep in mind:
STYLES TO CHOOSE FOR THE BEST UNDERWEAR FOR HOT HUMID WEATHER
In this day and age, you have a lot of different styles of underwear to choose from. When you’re looking for underwear on hot, humid days, you’ll want to pick specific types to keep you cool.
BEST WOMEN'S UNDERWEAR FOR HOT, HUMID WEATHER
To keep cool and dry, try these women’s underwear styles:
A minimalist, low-profile pair of bikini underwear is great for the heat! You won’t feel like you’re being swallowed up by your undies, while still being covered and protected. Plus, they're cheeky and oh-so-cute!
Wearing thong underwear is perfect if you’re going for a sleek look like bike shorts or a tight summer dress! Just keep in mind that a thong can act like a little fabric highway for all your butt bacteria to get to your vulva. That’s why I prefer to wear thongs made of fabrics like hemp that are naturally antibacterial!
If your main complaint on a hot day is chafing, grab yourself a pair of boy shorts underwear! They extend down the thigh slightly, so you are more protected from thigh chub rub. Because they’re more full coverage, avoid buying boy shorts made of non-breathable materials like polyester. Instead, choose an organic cotton or hemp style for a cooler experience.
BEST MEN'S UNDERWEAR FOR HOT, HUMID WEATHER
Check out these men’s underwear types to keep your crotch nice and cool:
Are men’s briefs back in style? Yes, they are, which is good news for all my fellas looking for underwear that will keep them cool. Mens briefs are one of the lowest profile styles of men’s underwear, which means you don’t have a lot of fabric bunching up and making you sweat even more. Just make sure they’re made of breathable, soft fabric and you’ll have best men's underwear for hot humid weather!
Let the air flow with mens boxers! Loosely fit, this is a perfect style when it’s hot and humid out. Wear them on their own when you’re just hanging around the house. Or try them with a looser pair of shorts when going out!
FABRICS TO PICK FOR THE BEST UNDERWEAR FOR HOT HUMID WEATHER
The fabric used to make your underwear is just as, if not more important than the style you choose! A synthetic pair of underwear will leave you feeling even more sticky, sweaty, and hot than you were.
Natural, sustainable fabrics like organic cotton and hemp are great for underwear because they’re:
- Breathable! Synthetic materials like polyester are the least breathable materials, while natural materials like cotton and hemp keep the air flowing. Plus, when a material isn’t breathable, it feels warm to the touch next to your skin—not exactly what you want on a hot day!
- Antibacterial! Fight off butt acne and crotch infections with antibacterial fabric. Hemp is naturally antimicrobial, which means your downstairs will stay clean and infection-free even when it’s sweaty and hot!
- Anti-odor! Fabrics like hemp and bamboo aren’t just good for the planet, they’re good for the noses of everyone around you! Because they’re antibacterial and antifungal, they naturally prevent any sweaty smells coming from your crotch!
Next time you’re in the underwear aisle, take a look at the materials label!
WHAT UNDERWEAR NOT TO WEAR ON HOT HUMID DAYS
We know to look for natural fiber underwear in styles like bikini, thong, mens briefs, and trunks. But what should we run far, far away from?
1. STAY AWAY FROM SYNTHETIC MATERIALS
My one purpose in life is to get people to stop wearing synthetic underwear. Yes, I know those barely-there, “moisture wicking” Lycra styles are soft and seem great. But they aren’t breathable, aren’t good for the planet, and can cause some pretty nasty infections, especially on humid days.
2. SAY GOODBYE TO FULL COVERAGE STYLES FOR THE SUMMER
Stick with lower profile styles of underwear like bikini, briefs, or thongs. I’m all for a pair of high waisted underwear in the cooler months, especially because they do provide extra insulation for my tummy. But in the summer? I’m only wearing less full coverage styles!
MORE TIPS FOR KEEPING YOUR CROTCH COOL
As I mentioned, I live in Fiji. Keeping my crotch cool takes up a ridiculous amount of time in my day-to-day life. Here’s some tips I’ve learned to help you the next time you’re in hot and humid weather:
- Powder up (just not with talc)! It may be tempting to powder down there, but people with ovaries should be careful! Baby powders with talc have been linked to ovarian cancer, so it’s better to stick with cornstarch or tapioca starch-based powders.
- Wear more than one pair a day! A little overboard? Maybe, but you’ll never regret putting on a pair of fresh undies before heading out to dinner or drinks! It doesn’t even need to double your laundry load. Learn how to hand wash underwear and you’ll be set!
- Always change out of wet clothes! Got caught in a summer rainstorm? Went swimming? Fell into a koi pond? No matter what, you should always change out of wet underwear or bathing suits as soon as you can!
- Find good workout underwear! Working out in heat and humidity is a special type of torture. The only thing worse is working out in heat and humidity with bad underwear! Make sure the fit, style, and fabric are all working with you instead of against you.
CONCLUSION: WHAT'S THE BEST UNDERWEAR FOR HOT HUMID WEATHER?
Time to review!
1. What styles should you choose for the best women's underwear for hot humid weather?
- Boy shorts
2. What styles should you choose for the best men's underwear for hot humid weather?
3. And finally, what materials should you choose for the best hot weather underwear?
- Organic cotton
- Other natural, sustainably sourced fibers
Now you know how to keep your crotch cool when it’s hot and humid—hooray for that! But what about the rest of your body? How do you like to stay cool in the heat and humidity? Let me know in the comments below!